Tuesday, May 14, 2013

DIY window moldings

When we built our home in 2004, we didn't do moldings around any of our windows! What yes people. What was I thinking. money a budget is what I was thinking. It was adding a lot to our budget so we opted out. Darn it. So ever since I moved it I just felt it looked unfinished to me. So the past few weeks I have been slowly adding molding to my kitchen bay windows. WOW! It really makes a difference. Not only does it make it brighter, it makes if look finished. I love it I will be doing more around the house in the months to come. hopefully in the next year I will be able to do the whole house (crossing my fingers).
Before
 After (still need to paint)
I used MDF flat boards 1x4x8. At Lowes they are $5.67 for a 8 foot board. So these windows cost me under $50. They are really simple but I like that, they should be easy to clean :)
I got my idea from Sausha at Sweet Pickens if you have never gone to her site you are missing out. Check out this post on her lintel moldings.
 
I might still add more molding on top of these to dress them up a bit, but this is how they will stay for now.
Before
 After
 Sorry the lighting is so different. But you get the idea right? Even in the after I have not finished all the sanding and calking and painting but it looks tons better. Thanks for stopping by.
-Lindsay

 
 

15 comments:

  1. LOOKES GREAT!!! it really does make a difference. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made such a huge difference in your space! Made the area seem much larger. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree. It looks great and makes a big difference...gives your windows a "finished" look. I love it!

    Jennifer @ Decorated Chaos

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! The white paint looks so much better! Even with a few touches, it can make all the difference in a room. People shouldn't overspend by buying new furniture, etc. They can just change the paint color and window treatment, like what you did. Sarai Loftis

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great! Glad I found your cute blog, while blog hopping. It is the simple touches that make a house a home.

    Jenny @ http://jennylynndesignz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. These one really looks great, specially the design of the windows..i am looking for a very great designs for windows because i want that my window in living room would look good inside and outside..

    window replacement pittsburgh

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are right, Lindsay. The windows do have a more finished feel after your DIY treatment. It's surprising to see that something as simple as adding moldings to bay windows made a great difference. Had I not known any better, I would have actually thought that you got new windows installed. Thank you for sharing! Up and Above Contractors

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great! The white paint looks so much better! Even with a few touches, it can make all the difference in a room. People shouldn't overspend by buying new furniture, etc. They can just change the paint color and window treatment, like what you did.Sarai Loftis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS amazing what a little paint can do. You are so right a little bit of change can go a long way ;)

      Delete
  10. I'm certainly very happy to read this blog site posts which carries plenty of helpful data, thanks for providing such information.
    dreamwalldecor.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks for stopping by! Have a great day :)

      Delete
  11. Hi
    Very instructive & great post,
    Thanks for wonderful blog.

    Windows Calgary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this is absolutely amazing. I had no idea that you could do this kind of thing on your own! We just got new windows in Prince George and we really want to do something like this but we didn't want to pay anyone to do it for us. I am glad that I found this, so now I can just do it myself. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete